Help..C.C. Fistula

Gary Johnson Gary_Johnson at nt.com
Fri Aug 9 11:33:33 EST 1996

My son suffered serious head injury in a motorcycle accident.   The
most serious of his injuries is damage to his carotid artery,
including a Carotid Cavernous Fistula (which is communicating blood
flow from the Carotid Artery to a vein serving the eye).  The best
option for treating this condition, we are told, is with a silicon
balloon based procedure to seal the fistula from inside the carotid
artery.  This procedure is complicated, however, by a dissection (or
internal tear) of the artery at a point through which the balloon
would have to pass.
The rarity of the condition and the complications (including a FDA
restriction of usage of this balloon) translates to a relatively small
number of physicians who can perform this procedure.   Any advice on
information we can get on the risks, statistics, complications, etc
for this condition?  Any advice on how we can determine and compare
the "credentials" of the physicians (interventional neuroradiologists)
available?  Is information available from the AMA?  Assistance is
appreciated.

Gary