(no subject)

Umberto Castiello umbertoc at gas.sci.monash.edu.au
Mon Aug 19 19:27:21 EST 1996

Dear Colleagues,

would you please be so kind helping me for the interpretation of the following results:

In three experiments I examined the influence of distractors objects on the temporal evolution
of a prehension movement toward a target object (an apple). In the first experiment the
distractor was another apple moved laterally behind the target and sometimes changed direction
toward the target, which rendered the distractor the to-be-grasped object. Interference effects
were observed on the reach components, but not on the grasp component. In the second experiment
the distractor was a stationary piece of fruit (a raspberry), which sometimes become the target
object due to a sudden change in illumination. Interference effectsa were observed with the
grasp component. The third experiment was a mixture of teh first two experiments (a moving
raspberry distractor); interference effects were observed on the level of both the reach and
the grasp components. In all cases interference effects were observed only when attention to
the distractor was covert rather that overt (involving visual fixation). I found this latter
result quite interesting however why should it be that looking at a distractor eliminates its
effect on the evolving action? WOuldn't common sense dictate the opposite or at least that eye
movements are irrelevant?

Any idea about this point? Can you please suggest references that could help me? Please reply
by e-mail

Thank you

Umberto Castiello