Donnan equlibrium and resting potential

Albertino Bigiani bigiani at
Tue Aug 20 15:19:06 EST 1996

Hy neuroscientists!
Here my question: is the normal resting potential of a cell due to a
Donnan equilibrium or not? Many textbook states this and I wonder if
this is true because the main ions (K, Na) involved are not at a
thermodynamic equlibrium as a true Donnal equilibrium requires. So, what
all about the Donnan equilibrium and why teaching it as an important
mechanism for understanding the genesis of resting potential?. Am I
missing some important facts here that explain why Donnan equlibrium is
put in the chapter of resting potential?
Thank you in advance.