Trans-neural labeling info request.

Matt Fraser mof at
Mon Dec 9 20:15:32 EST 1996

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Scott Jacoves wrote:

> 	My research focuses on the characterisation of the neurological
> subtrate underying tymbal sound production in a variety of hexapods. I'm
> currently looking for a better, quicker way to nail down pathways, as
> I'm hoping to examine the information-processing capability of a central
> pattern generator, and most of the interneurons are unknown.
> 	My first choice was to use an Iridovirus to trans-synaptically trace
> the pathway. Unfortunately, the lab I work in is not geared for class 2
> biohazard protocols. I'm now looking for other possible routes for
> trans-synaptic (and hopefully flourescent) labeling. The only prep I've
> found after many exhaustive literature searches is Horseradish
> peroxidase conjugated with wheat germ lectin. If this prep works (as far
> as I can tell, no one has intracellulary ionotophoresed this into insect
> neurons), this will only travel anterograde. My CPG is probably a second
> order interneuron on the efferent end of the path, so I need a
> retrograde label.

Don't know if it will work on insects, but I can't dee why not - Dye I,
which can be used to transynaptically label fixed tissue.  It takes a
month or so, but it may be your only hope if you can't use viruses.

Good Luck,

Matt Fraser                        "Hey, You! Don't help them
                                       To bury the Light.
mof at               Don't give in
mattf+ at                         Without a Fight."

                                           Pink Floyd