Post-traumatic automatism

F. Frank LeFever flefever at
Mon Dec 16 23:44:56 EST 1996

In <32B4647C.45FC at> Mike Kelly <mkelly at> writes:
>Has anybody seen post-traumatic authomatism with violence?  If so,
>you please let me have any references.
>L.S. Illis, MD., BSc., FRCP
>Honorary Emeritus Consultant in Neurology
>Southampton University Hospitals
I haven't SEEN it, nor read of it, BUT:  In trying ro understand what
was going on with a Transient Global Amnesia patient who seemed to me
atypical because of (1) an unusually long acute stage, and (2)
recurring amnestic episodes over the next few months, I came across
literature on "confusional migraine".  I had known about post-traumatic
migraine, and some of these confusional migraine cases had episodes
precipitated by mild head trauma.  Confusion and persistent questions
are more typical, but I believe one case had sufficient agitation as to
raise the possibility of violent behavior.

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group