FDA approves anti-obesity drug that reduces serotonin?

Michael L. Kirby mkirby at vt.edu
Thu Feb 1 03:15:29 EST 1996

In article <4ekp58$68n at watt.electriciti.com>, Molecule One Scientific
Research Institute <molecul1 at electriciti.com> wrote:

>    How many overweight persons eat that much, due to depression?
>    Isn't depression directly related to reduction of serotonin?
>    Why would a serotonin reduction drug be given to a stressed out,
>  depressed person, that probably eats due to depression?

Yes, I would guess that also.  Antidepressants that act upon serotonergic
systems (such as fluoxetine [Prozac]) are 5-HT uptake blockers.  This
tends to enhance serotonergic tone by increasing synaptic serotonin.  In
what way does this drug 'reduce' serotonin?  Does it act as a receptor
blocker or an enzyme inhibitor?  I'm curious, too.

--
Michael L. Kirby