HELP FOR TREATMENT OF CREUTZFELDT-JAKOB

Michael L. Kirby mkirby at vt.edu
Thu Feb 1 03:04:07 EST 1996

In article <4enlm9$jfn at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, laserslice at aol.com
(LASERSLICE) wrote:

> I am seeking any info out there concerning possible treatment modalities
> for the slow virus encephalopath Creutzfeldt-Jakob. Any antiviral regimens
> (amantidine HCl etc.) or experimental protocols would be appreciated.
> Contact me at my e-mail address  laserslice at aol.com. ASAP!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, Creutzfelt-Jacob is not a viral disease, but a prion
disease.  Prions are 'infectious' proteins (actually refolded variants of
normal cell proteins [latest theory]).  Only treatments I know of are use
of pituitary hormones, such as somatotropin.  I believe these are just
supportive therapies, but I'm not a physician.  That's all I could find on
this.

Sincerely,
Mike Kirby

--