Evolution of Sleep

Pierre-Herve Luppi luppi at URA1195-6.UNIV-LYON1.FR
Thu Feb 1 05:17:19 EST 1996

>Why do all vertebrates need sleep?  Rat's deprived of sleep eventually die
>(Rechtschaffen, et al. 1983, Science).
>What does sleep do?  It must be something important, even dolphins sleep.
>Since they have no breathing reflex,
>they have developed the unusual capacit to sleep one hemisphere at a time
>(Mukhmetov et al. Sleep Mechanisms 1984).
>Only warm blooded animals (Birds and Mammals) exhibit REM sleep patterns.
>Thus REM is of recent phylogenetic origin and
>may have a different function than that which sleep originally evolved for.
>
>If anybody knows anything about what sleep is, why it evolved, its
>evolutionary implications, or what it does, please let me know.
>What I really need are good, relevant journal articles.

Our Web site is completely devoted t o the study of sleep particularly REM
sleep. You will find a complete database of all the articles (with their
abstract) published by our sleep lab since 1956. In addition, we implanted
hypertext version of the famous conference of Pr. JOUVET: THE NATURAL
HISTORY OF DREAMS.

Laboratoire de Médecine Expérimentale,
Tel : (33) 78 77 71 23
INSERM U52, CNRS URA 1195,