NeuroReport's impact factor?

Peter Mulderry crimson at dircon.co.uk
Sun Feb 4 05:42:46 EST 1996

In article <4f000o$hp2 at oravannahka.Helsinki.FI>,
stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI (Dag Stenberg) wrote:

 > Yes. This is surely so. But unfortunately, some institutions which
 > govern important funds here use impact ratings - so it is best to take
 > them into account, if one is not in the position to protest effectively.

I think journal impact ratings are insidious and should be derided at every
opportunity. Basically, they're just a cheap way of evaluating someone's
publications without having to read the papers in question.

Or, to put it more succinctly: they're a way of holding an opinion of
someone's work without knowing what that person actualy does.