Brain History?

Sarah Schlegel sschlegel at wesleyan.edu
Tue Feb 6 11:43:32 EST 1996

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960205105355.16501F at great-gray.owlnet.rice.edu>,
smlamb at OWLNET.RICE.EDU (Sydney M Lamb) wrote:

> On 4 Feb 1996, yawn wrote:
>
> > When was the function of the brain first recognised?  During the process
> > of mummification the ancient Egyptians embalmed many organs but not the
> > brain, obviously not considering it not important.
> >

> The great physician Galen, one of the first to use dissection of animals
> as a source of anatomic information (it was illegal to dissect human
> corpses), proposed that the brain is the center of both thinking and
> feeling --- in the 7th century.   This was of course a great advance over
> Aristotle's speculation that the function of the brain was to cool the
> blood.
>
> Full speed ahead!
>
> SML

Hi!
I'm an undergraduate student at Wesleyan University in Middletown,
Connecticut.  I am taking a neuropsychology course presently, and I would
suggest you check out the text we are using because the first chapter
directly answers your question, yawn.  It is concise, yet very
informative.  Published by W.H. Freeman and Company in New York, it is the
fourth edition of _Fundamentals of Human Neuropsychology_ by Bryan Kolb
and Ian Q. Whishaw.
Sarah