relationship between Dia and conduction Velocity

Thomas D. Wason wason at nando.net
Wed Feb 7 13:18:00 EST 1996

For starters try:

Gillespie, M.J., & Stein, R.B. (1983).  Relationship between axon diameter, myelin thickness
and conduction velocity during atropy of mammalian peripheral nerves.  Brain Res. 2591, 41-56.

Waxman, S.G. (1980).  Determinants of conduction velocity in myelinated nerve fibers.  Muscle
Nerve 3(2), 141-150.

You may want to follow these up through the Science Citation Index.

--Good luck!

rehabdr at soback.kornet.nm.kr (Dong-Sik Park) wrote:
>Samit <sc203 at cus.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know about the realtionship between the external/ internal
>>diameter and the conduction velocity of a myelinated nerve.
>>Could you mail me the info or atleast point me in the right direction.
>>Thanks
>>Samit
>
>Factors determining conduction velocity are diameter, myelination,
>temperature & Age.
>The larger the diameter, the faster the conduction.
>The relationship between fibe diameter and conduction velocity is
>shown to be 6m/sec/um (micrometer) for relatively large-diameter
>myelinated mammalian nerve fiber.

  Thomas D. Wason, Ph.D.              1421 Park Drive
  Human-Computer Interactions         Raleigh, North Carolina 27605 USA
  wason at nando.net                     919.834.9842