Cat scratch

WB Thomas Thomas.William at HOSPITAL.VET.UTK.EDU
Thu Feb 8 11:30:04 EST 1996

Sandra L Wegert <sandraw at U.Arizona.EDU> wrote:

> I thought "catch-scratch fever" was Toxoplasmosis,  a simple "blood"
> protozoan that "all" cats carry and about half of all humans have
> been exposed to (have antibodies)...

Cat scratch disease is caused by a bacteria, currently designated
Bartonella henselae, that can be carried by cats.
This is distinct from Toxoplasma gondii, which is, as you point out, a
protozoan. Domestic cats are the definitive host for T. gondii but not
all cats are infected and human exposure can occur from other sources,
most importantly undercooked meat.

WB Thomas DVM