My child has congenital CMV

Lance Murphy jomurphy at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 7 20:58:44 EST 1996

My son has congenital CMV.  He is now two years old.  He has
deveopmental delays both physically and cognitivly.  Right after his
first birthday he started to talk saying words like hi and daddy.  He
called our dog "Didi".  Her name is Sydney.  As he became more mobile
later in the spring and into the summer, he quit talking.  Now when he
is excited or is trying to communicate he flapps his hands and loudly
says ooooooo  eeeee.  He seems to get over stimulated easily.  He loves
to look at books but doesn't really enjoy being read to.  The doctors
we have seen think that he is mentally impaired but offer no
explaintion for the loss of speech that seemed to be progressing
normally a year ago.  Nor do they seem willing to entertain that there
may be something else going on.  Has anyone out there had experience
with CMV children?  Is there any explaination for the things I have
described?  The doctors are reluctant to give hope or help.

Thanks - Joanne Murphy