Neuro texts?

Dag Stenberg stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI
Thu Feb 8 11:30:01 EST 1996

c_hou at wrote:
} I'm a second year med student at UCLA about to start a Neurology class.  I'm
} also seriously considering Neurogy as a specialtand doing Neurosciences
} research.  My question is what books are good reference material for either or
} both Neurology and Neurosciences?  (Besides Kandel and Schw{.  Thanks.

My absolute favourite recently has been the "little" Kandel:
Knadel, Schwartz, Jessell (eds.): "Essentials of Neural Science and
behavior". Prentice Hall, 1995, ISBN 0-8385-2247-5. 742 pp., very
  But this is also because I like the amount of molecular stuff, the
connection to behavior, the ease of reading, and I do not mind the lack
of anatomy. As an introduction to neurosciences, I do recommend this.

For my medical students, who take an integrated course in neurobiology
featuring both clinical anatomy, physiology and paharmacology, I am
presently considering
  Conn: "Neuroscience in Medicine", Lippincott, 1995, ISBN
0-397-51279-1, 688 pp., 472 illustrations.
There is a companion volume Jennes, Traurig and Conn: "Atlas of the
Human Brain", Lippincott, 1995, ISBN 0-397-51277-5.
  This/these do not have any pharmacology either, but a considerable
amount of anatomy and neurology. Out anatomy teachers now favour this
compared to their previous choice of Nolte: "The Human Brain", Mosby,
  I think this book of Conn's may be what you would want if you think
of an introduction to clinical neurology.

Good luck.
	Dag Stenberg

Dag Stenberg     MD PhD                    stenberg at
Institute of Biomedicine		   tel: int.+358-0-1918532
Department of Physiology                   fax: int.+358-0-1918681
P.O.Box 9       (Siltavuorenpenger 20 J)   tlx: 1002125 finuh sf
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki,Finland