FDA approves anti-obesity drug that reduces serotonin?

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.com
Thu Feb 8 10:31:06 EST 1996

In article <4f962c$r81 at ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>,
Ron Gualtieri  <netman3 at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
   >I am currently taking FASTIN prescribed to me by my doctor.  This drug
   >increases Serotonin and has accomplished two things;

Fastin is phentermine, an amphetamine-like drug (but significantly less
euphoric and pleasurable.)  It is believed to exert its effects by facilitating
the release of dopamine and norepinephrine in areas of the brain.  It doesn't
have much of an effect on serotonin release.

   >    1.  It has helped my weight problem, I lost 13 lbs in two weeks and
   >    2.  It has helped with my depression in that I no longer suffer
   >from depression and its affects.
   >
   >I do not know what drug you are referring to in terms of serontonin
   >reducers, but I agree with you entirely in that you want to take a drug
   >that increases serotonin and not reduce it.  I am a living example of
   >that and am very interested in what you know.

The original poster was referring to fenfluramine, which facilitates the
release of serotonin and reduces its reuptake.  In the long run, in lab
animals at least, its effect is to deplete serotonin stores from neurons.
I really don't have a clue as to whether this is seen in humans, though
it does seem to increase the levels of serotonin metabolites found in
spinal fluid, suggesting that it causes greater turnover.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com