Music and Brain

Meng-yu espt at ix.netcom.com
Fri Feb 9 00:12:28 EST 1996

I am currently involved in research for a dissertation which is focused
on the use of Baroque music to help enhance learning.  I am looking for
any current research to support the use of this type of music to
improve comprehension, memory, recall, mood, or  help create relaxed
states.  I know that rhythme, melody, patterns etc., are processed in
the right hempisphere (RH) of the brain, and verbal, reading, linear,
sequencial etc. is processed by the left hempisphere (LH).With imput
provided to both hemisphres the learner is afforded a better
opportunity to retain the information desired. Therefore, if anyone
knows of any current supporting research which addresses these concerns
as well as fitting within the neurological framework, ie., PET scans
which show an increase of oxygen to the right hempisphere, EEG patterns
that are representitive of changes to the RH because of Baroque or
classical music, etc. would be extremely appreciated.  My hope is that
there may be some current research that someone may already be familar
with and would share (references, abstracts etc.).  I can be reached at
ESPT at ix.netcom.com.  Thanks for your time and consideration.
---Michael.