Query: Dendritic Networks

NobodySpecial steve at cs.titech.ac.jp
Thu Feb 8 21:05:04 EST 1996

Hi,

	I just wanted to point out that there has been a fair amount of abuse
by all sides.  The problem is not modelling vs biology, or data vs
understanding.  The problem is that there are a number of people who do
not have a complete understanding of what they are talking about.  I
have read "shadows of the mind" and was annoyed not by the quantum
approach, but by penrose's ignorance of the neurosciences, etc.  In the
same way there are many psychologist modellers who try to model
psychological phenomenon with backprop trained mlp's.  This is a problem
because the mlp basically learns to emulate the data.  So, in the end
you have a black box that performs in accordance with the data.  So,
what?  What does that explain about psychology.

	My point is that quantum approaches to consciousness can coexist with
the others.  As long as we do each other the respect of honestly
considering everybodies arguements, there is no reason why these
different points of view cannot provoke some interesting discussions.

Steve Funk
steve at cs.titech.ac.jp