Goldman-Hodgkin equation : origin ??

Richard Norman RNorman at msn.com
Sat Feb 10 17:58:58 EST 1996

>>  B. Pauligan inquires:
>What's the origin of the Goldman-Hodgkin equation ?
> ... I would like to know the relation between permeability and >
>conductance

Goldman, D.E. (1943). Potential, impedance, and rectification in
membranes.  J. Gen. Physiol. 27:37-60

Hodgkin, A.L. and Katz, B. (1949).  The effect of sodium ions on the
electrical activity of the giant axon of the squid.
J. Physiol. 108:37-77.

Any number of cellular neurophysiology texts discuss the rather complex
relationship between conductance and permeability (as do, I believe,
the original papers).  But then, if you had access to one of these,
you would also have the citations!  The relation seems to me of little
practical use -- electrical measurements require use of the
conductance,  diffusion theory requires permeability.  I don't see any
practical reason to calculate one given the other.   They rise and
fall together -- both indicate the state of openness of channels.