glial cells, plasticity, and learnin

Udin, Susan SUdin at ubmedb.buffalo.edu
Mon Feb 12 18:23:45 EST 1996

In article
<Pine.SOL.3.91.960210085825.26133A-100000 at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu>, Sandra
Pena De Ortiz <spenadeo at lonestar.jpl.utsa.edu> wrote:

> I am seeing changes in the expression of several genes in white matter
> after inducing LTP and during learning.  I think the changes are occuring
> in glial cells.  Does anyone have any comments, interpretations,
> implications?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dr. Sandra Pena
> Postdoctoral Fellow
> UTSA

Here are a couple of articles that may be helpful:
1. Wenzel, J., et al., The
influence of long- term potentiation on the spatial
relationship between astrocyte processes and potentiated synapses in the
dentate gyrus neuropil of rat brain. Brain Res., 1991. 560(1-2): 122-131.

2. Le Gal La Salle, G., G. Rougon, and A. Valin, The embryonic form of neural
cell surface molecule (E-NCAM) in the rat hippocampus and its reexpression on
glial cells following kainic acid-induced status epilepticus. J. Neurosci.,
1992. 12(3): 872-882.

Good luck,

Susan Udin
Dept. of Physiology