References for dependencies in statistics of spike trains?

Mark Laubach laubach at biogfx.neuro.wfu.edu
Tue Feb 13 16:52:15 EST 1996

schmitt at cs.unc.edu (Charles Schmitt) wrote:

>Can anyone suggest what would be good review articles or book (chapters)
>describing how measured postsynaptic spike trains have been observed
>to be dependent on presynaptic spike trains.  What I'm searching for
>is to strengthen my knowledge of what statistical measures of spike trains,
>such as mean frequency, inter-spike interval, etc..., have been used
>to describe postsynaptic spike trains and how these statistics have any
>observed dependency on the same presynaptic statistics.   I'm particularly
>interested in such observed dependencies in visual cortex.

>Thanks, Charlie.

The initial work here was done for the spinomotor system.  A good
paper is by Cope, Fetz, and Matsumura, Cross-correlation assessment of
synaptic strength of single Ia fibre connections with triceps surae
motorneurons in cats, J. Physiol., 390:161-188, 1982.

This is not an easy read, at first, but is worth it.  (There is an
older literature for this system: search Kirkwood, Sears, Knox.)

For cortical neurons, a good review was by Fetz, Toyama, and Smith,
Synaptic Interactions between cortical neurons, in the Cerebral Cortex
series, vol. 9, I think.

Also recent stuff by West and Thomson and others with paired intracell
recordings in motor and visual cortices.  Check out medline; I don't
know the refs off hand.

Good luck.

Mark

Mark Laubach