What causes Ice-cream headaches?

Charles Weaver cweaver at bu.edu
Fri Feb 16 10:56:21 EST 1996

It is not! the phrenic nerve (this is the nerve that goes to the diapharam)
unless you are getting hichoughs from eating icecream.  I always assumed it
was a vascular thing.....the cold in the esophagus cools blood in the carotid
artery and then the coold somehow causes spasm in the arterys in the brain
leading to meningeal irritation.......sound good......this is of course
totally speculative.....

Anyone else have a thought???

Jonathan David Byrd (jb019a at uhura.cc.rochester.edu) wrote:
: In <4fu8c8$om at atlas.uniserve.com> ggowland at uniserve.com (ggowland) writes:

: >It's science project time for my 11 year old daughter's grade 5 class. We
: >are trying to put together some information about what the causes the
: >pain when you eat something cold too fast. Also we can't seem to find an
: >answer as to what this condition is called by the medical community. Any
: >and all info would be greatly appreciated.

: >Yours truly
: >G.Gowland

: 	For the life of me I can't remember, but one of the spinal nerves
: that passes exceptionally close to the esophagus is the culprit because it
: gets physically cold, kind of like frost-bite.  It might be the phrenic
: nerve, but I am not sure.

: Take care,
: Jonathan D. Byrd
: Dept of Neuroscience
: U of Rochester

--
|| ||
|| ||                 \   \   |  |   |    |    \       |
\\^//                  |   |  |  |_  | |__  /__ \   |
\\^//   Charles E.Weaver
\\^//   Boston University School of Medicine     Phone (617)638-5323
  |     Department of Pharmacology L-603         Fax   (617)638-4329
  |     80 East Concord Street Boston MA 02118   cweaver at acs.bu.edu
http://med-amsa.bu.edu/Pharmacology/pharm.people/CEW.folder/Weaver.html