We can now keep a severed human brain alive forever!

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Sat Feb 17 13:54:37 EST 1996

>In article <312293D9.5C81 at lamar.colostate.edu> geoff miller <gmm at lamar.colostate.edu> writes:
>>Has anyone heard of this being done?

Ingrid Newkirk, President of PETA, claimed in a speech that she gave at
Stanford University in 1991, that "keeping a severed monkey head alive"
was one of the goals of NIH-funded animal research.  She then went on to
denounce NIH-funded animal research as being "useless" and "irrelevant"
based on examples such as this one.

I have never heard of any such goal for animal or monkey heads or brains.
And I am not a fan of Newkirk's tactics or her "research."

It's interesting that this kind of "urban legend" keeps making
the rounds.  It doesn't do a lot of good for the image of neuroscience in
the eyes of the general public, though.

Karen