basal ganglia

Loren A. Evey lae2 at psu.edu
Tue Feb 20 12:44:55 EST 1996

In Article<4gci8p$ime at grapool30.rz.uni-frankfurt.de>,
> > I have a quick question, and I'm hoping someone can respond to me via

> > email at stclair at cris.com.  Can the basal ganglia be seen on gross
> > dissection?  How easily?   Thanks!
> > Connie
> Get real, get a textbook, and get questions like those off the net.
Greetings from human gross anatomy!
> Helmut

The internal capsule and the relation to the two major nuclei is easily
visible (i.c. is not part of the complex).  As you may have encountered,
there are descrepancies in the brain areas included as "the" basal
ganglia.  These differences reflect anatomy versus function.  Although
much of this neuroanatomy is visible, you do not typicallly hear the
phrase "Human Gross Neuroanatomy" in the States.  Dissection of the brain
is done in courses of "Human Neuroanatomy."  Human Gross Anatomy usually
passes the baton at the interface of skull foramina and meninges.

With the current wave of "relevance" sweeping the country (states), the
basal ganglia are a great object of study.  There is a wealth of
information pertaining to basic research and clinical applications.