RYTHMIC & RELAXATION ?

COP95AJW COP95AJW at shef.ac.uk
Thu Feb 22 06:52:01 EST 1996

In article <4fus7q$odd$1 at mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, alt.psychology.mistake-theory <75454.2620 at CompuServe.COM> says:

>Hello,
>
>I practice relaxation since 15 years and i use currently the rythmical
>movements of the eyes to induce it.

>It works on anybody: it gives you after a few minutes a heavy feeling
>in your muscles if you are laying down, it must have a
>neurophysiological basis, i always wondered about that, but i never
>found a paper on it.

>*  Emmanuel FAUCONNIER       :-)      phone: 33 1 42513064             *
>*  5 rue Labat               :-)      mobile phone: 33 09752141        *
>*  75018 PARIS FRANCE        :-)      Self-proclamed CAR expert        *
>*  75454.2620 at CompuServe.com :-)      (Computer Assisted Relaxation)   *

Hi,
   I'm am no expert in this field but do recall reading something relating
to relaxation induced by rythmic stimuli. What follows is my understanding
of what occurs.

   When presented with a rythmic stimulus the brain first focuses
attention on it and determines wether it is important or not. If it is not
then neurons responsible for responding to the stimulus become inhibited to
prevent further attention to the stimulus. If the stimulus continues for a
prolonged time then this inhibition begins to spread to connected areas of
the brain. Thus, over time, areas of the brain are effectively shut down
which results in the relaxation.

I believe I originally came across this idea in the following book:
"The Brain: An Introduction to Neuroscience", R.F.Thompson,W.H.Freeman.

Any introductory text on neuroscience should be worth trying, also look out
for material on sleep and hypnosis.

Cheers,
Andy.