Two Paired-Pulse Facilitation Questions

Zanos Stavros stavrosz at
Fri Feb 23 05:37:12 EST 1996

Dear colleagues,

Im working on a project about the effects of certain aspects of synaptic
physiology, on the dynamics of well-characterized realistic neural networks.
My question is concerned with a possible physiological role of paired-pulse
facilitation (PPF), which is a short-lasting (<1 sec) increase in a second
evoked population EPSP (pEPSP) when it follows shortly after a first, and it
is thought to have a presynaptic locus in CA1 hippocampus.

Is anyone of you aware of any references dealing with the physiological role
of PPF in neuronal and synaptic function ? Also, it has been showed that PPF
changes in a rather complicated manner after the induction of LTP, and I
wandered if there are any references dealing with the role of this influence
in synaptic plasticity.

Thank you in advance for any answers,

Zanos Stavros
Aristotle Univ School of Medicine
Thessaloniki, Macedonia, Greece

		"If I had more time, I would have written you a shorter letter"