determinants of homosexuality

Jim Kohl jkohl at vegas.infi.net
Tue Feb 27 01:34:11 EST 1996

In article <Julian_Wong-2602961310090001 at cluster-129.cluster.brown.edu>,
Julian_Wong at Brown.edu says...

>I'm looking for research done on possible biological determinants of
>homsexuality.  If anyone knows of any sources that would be particularly
>useful, or studies that might offer guidance, I would appreciate the
>information.  I know a lot of information exists, but I know nothing
about
>the sujects, and am looking for starting points in my investigation.
Has
>there been any new research--I know there was a surge of studies a few
>years ago?
>
>Josh Rolnick

The Scientist, January 8, 1996 published a few pages based on a
behavioral development symposium held last May, "the first to assemble
virtually all the top researchers in the field"--p. 13. Some of the more
famous presenters detail aspects of their models. Many of the less famous
didn't get the coverage. For example, Ann Perkins presented
"Physiological Correlates to Homosexual Orientation in Domestic Rams." I
presented a poster session: Human Pheromones--Linking the Nature and the
Nurture of Human Sexuality Through Reciprocity in
Olfactory-Genetic-Neuronal-Hormonal-Behavioral Relationships.

In short, if Ann's ram model extends to humans (as I think it does) via
the neuroendocrine sequence I proposed, then sexual orientation is
dependent upon the prenatal development of the gonadotropin-releasing
hormone (GnRH) neuronal system, as it is then influenced by pheromones.
This allows for linking "nature" and "nurture" via the effects of
pheromones on GnRH and, ultimately, on steroidogenesis. Most of the
conference attendees seemed to take my proposal quite seriously. But
aspects of this psychoneuroendocrine approach may take a few years to
trickle down to others.

Jim Kohl
co-author--The Scent of Eros: Mysteries of Odor in Human Sexuality