BDNF in Parkinson's

Neal Prakash eamg061 at arcturus.oac.uci.edu
Mon Feb 26 20:57:24 EST 1996

Ngf has been used in a clinical trial with one alzheimer's patient [Olson
et al. 1992]. the results were promising but far from definitive (i'm
still waiting for the article myself, so i can't give you more details).

as for bdnf, bdnf may hold more promise than ngf for both AD and PD,
but the big
problem is drug delivery.  there are truncated trkB receptors all over
the place that suck up bdnf by most routes of delivery, so you
need either megadoses or a special delivery mode (cannula, carrier
molecules...). bdnf also has many side effects in animals--weight loss,
analgesia, and probably an increase of inhibitory activity in the cortex
(Gaba, serotonin).  so that is why (to my knowledge) bdnf has a while
before any clinical trials will be started.

sorry for no references for bdnf--just look on medline or email me again
if you want to verify one of my statements.

good luck david. if you don't mind, why do you ask?

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, David Cassarino wrote:

> I have read that BDNF has been shown in cell culture and animal
> experiments to protect substantia nigra neurons from death (due
> to MPTP, OHDA, etc).
> I was wondering if there have been any clinical trials of BDNF
> in PD (or Alzheimer's) patients (I tried looking for this on
> medline but found little).
>
> Thanks for any info
> --
> David S. Cassarino              "The mind is not a vessel to be filled
> MSTP 2nd Year                    but a fire to be kindled."
> UVA School of Medicine           -Plutarch
> dsc9w at virginia.edu

-neal prakash

http://meded.com.uci.edu:80/~nprakash/neal.html

"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never
cease to be amused." -author unknown