Thionin staining

J. A. Kiernan jkiernan at julian.uwo.ca
Thu Feb 29 10:59:58 EST 1996

>> Robert L. Hoskins wrote:
>> I've stained some brain sections with thionin, and, after coverslipping
>>the slides, the stain appears to have faded considerably.  Anyone have a
>>clue as to why this might happen?  Can I remove the coverslips with xylene
>>and re-stain the sections?

   I principle, yes.  It's a slow business, and there's a risk of
   damaging the sections.  Possibly your thionin was not the real
   thing.  There's plenty around that isn't.  Make sure your thionin
   has a Biological Stain Commission certification sticker on the
   bottle of powder.
                                     John A. Kiernan
                                     Department of Anatomy
                                     Univ. of Western Ontario