References to imaging studies of Japanese script processing

Chris Brockett chrisbro at halcyon.com
Wed Jan 3 16:48:57 EST 1996

Hello. In a foolish moment (I am a syntactician in real life), I allowed
myself to be persuaded by some friends to write a paper reviewing the
literature on functional localization and the neurological processing of
Japanese script to appear a book targeted at Japanese language teachers.

I already have an extensive bibliography on the subject and the paper is
nearly written. I am aware of the PET studies of Kana and Kanji processing
by Sakurai et al. (1992) and (1993) published in Neuroreport. Also the
work of Law et al.

What I am lacking, however, is sources on recent (1990-1995) research on
script processing using PET, MEG, functional MRI, or ERPs published in the
Japanese language. There is probably quite a substantial body of such
research that has escaped being abstracted in the standard Medline and
Psyc databases because it appeared in daigaku kiyoo (university working
papers) or in technical reports issued by university and private sector
research institutes.

I am especially interested in any recent imaging studies using normal
subjects that relate to localization of kana and kanji script processing,
activation of phonological areas during script processing, and the
time-course of word recognition.

If there are any Japanese-speaking researchers on this newsgroup or any
others who are aware of such work and could provide information on where I
might obtain copies of the publications, I would be grateful to receive an
e-mail. (I do read Japanese fluently, but unfortunately my mailer is not
currently set up to handle Japanese script.)

Thank you for your assistance. Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

Chris Brockett

--
Chris Brockett
"Linguist-at-large"