"Post back surgery" exercise

Chris A. Philbrick thekid2 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 4 13:21:21 EST 1996

I underwent a laminectomy on Nov. 20th and have been on my back for
1045 hours out of the last 1104.  I'm allowed unlimited easy walking
and no standing.  My concern is that my neurosurgeon is telling me no
more jogging ever (after the 90 day  recovery period) and is entirely
unsympathetic towards my love for golf.  He is a non-athlete and feels
that most Americans are still trying to win gold medals rather than
simply get in good shape.  He is advising me to get rid of my  Nordic
Track, and as I said, absolutely no jogging.  Can anyone tell me about
their experience regarding types of exercise equipment and/or jogging
after having had back surgery?
I am 53 years old and otherwise in perfect health.  I am a deciple of
the late Dr. George Sheehan who ran marathons into his 70's.  He used
to run the first hour for his health and the second hour for his soul.
Thanks.
Chris Philbrick
Fax 209-433-1098