"Novelty" gene

Dennis McClain-Furmanski dmcclain at runet.edu
Thu Jan 4 07:34:35 EST 1996

Stevejoe (stevejoe at qconline.com) wrote:
:
: >There's an article in the paper today about the discovery of a gene
: >for the personality trait of "novelty-seeking" (the first gene for any
: >personality trait)......- two of his original articles announcing his
: >theory were part of the reading list in one of my posts last week on
: >integrated approaches to studying the brain.
: >
: >The newspaper report only identified the gene as being for one of
: >the dopamine receptors.
: >Onward and upwards!
: >
: >AJR
: >
:
: Although I find genetics research to be quite interesting - Why is it that
: scientists are constantly surprised to find that genes are involved in so
: many different aspects of our biophysiology?

They aren't. They're excited to find out which ones do what things.

: Now I have to say this...  So What!  As far as I can see - genetics research
: has not yielded too much in the way of positive results.

Luckily many people can see much farther than that.

Just from this one bit of news, I can ask, does this 'novelty-seeking'
gene correlated with the deficient P300 waves seen in some alcoholics?
P300 does change according to familiarity withthe stimulus. It it does
correlate, it might be causal or contributory, and if so, splicing
technology could be used to correct it.

Sure, it's a long shot. But seeing far poorly and be wrong sometimes is a
damn sight more likely to produce useful results than not seeing far at all.

Want to borrow my telescope?

< dmcclain at runet.edu, Experimental Psychology, Radford University >
<  Graduate Research Fellow,  Center for Behavioral Research and  >
< INformation Sciences (BRAINS Center) How do you like your EEGs? >