graduate programs

Gerry S. Oxford, Ph.D. gsox at med.unc.edu
Thu Jan 4 07:50:52 EST 1996

hawkml at aol.com (Hawkml) wrote:

>Can anyone please recommend a good source that rates Neuroscience Graduate
>programs and perhaps provides a brief description of their focus?  I
>realize that this is an FAQ, but I would appreacite any assistance.  My
>primary interests are in a medical/biological program rather than
>psychological one.  Further interests include neuroimmunology, molecular
>neuroscience and neuropharmacology (but these are just a few).  Since this
>is such new and expanding area, my undergraduate institution was able to
>supply only incomplete imformation.  I would also be interested in
>receiving responses on anyones particular favorites.  Thanks in advance.
>Michael Littlehawk Benson

                   The Curriculum in Neurobiology
                          Chapel Hill, NC

	The Curriculum in Neurobiology is a multidisciplinary Ph.D. program
designed to provide both in-depth training in basic neuroscience research
and to develop broad experiences in the spectrum of research approaches used
in contemporary neuroscience.  Our goal is to train scientists with both the
intellectual skills and technical flexibility to enjoy a successful career
in research and education.  Initially, each student undertakes advanced
coursework in cellular, molecular, developmental, systems and behavioral
neuroscience.  Other coursework is selected on an individual basis.
Three research apprenticeships in laboratories representing different
neuroscience subdisciplines are also required; this contact with faculty
research helps trainees select their own dissertation projects.  Excellent
laboratory facilities and state-of-the-art equipment are available in the
faculty laboratories and shared core facilities.  Networked microcomputers
are available for use in shared neuroscience student office space along
with free electronic mail and local MEDLINE.  An active seminar program
includes a weekly colloquium series and a Visiting Scientist series in which
students spend time in small groups with distinguished neuroscientists from
around the world.  Support is available for travel to national scientific
meetings to present research work.  Finally, formal training in scientific
presentation skills is provided.  A combined M.D./Ph.D. program is available
for those interested in a dual clinical/research career.

PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS:
   -  83 faculty from 13 departments in both School of Medicine and the
      Division of Arts and Sciences.
   -  32 predoctoral students presently enrolled
   -  Program established in 1966, Ph.D. in Neurobiology offered since 1972
   -  Training strengths in cellular & molecular neuroscience, developmental
      neuroscience, neuroanatomy, neurophysiology, neuropharmacology and
      behavioral neuroscience.
   -  Average time to degree is 5.3 years
   -  22 Ph.D. degrees awarded in last 5 years

ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS:  The *minimum* admissions requirements include: an
   undergraduate bachelors degree preferably with a major in a science
   discipline, a GPA of 3.0 or better on a scale of 4.0, and a combined
   score on the Verbal and Quantitative	portions of the Graduate Record
   Examination of 1200.  Foreign applicants for whom English is a second
   language must score at least 550 on the TOEFL exam.  A 2-3 page statement
   of personal history and career goals is required.  Experience in
   independent laboratory research is highly desirable.

STIPEND/ASSISTANTSHIPS AND FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE:  All students receive
   financial assistance in the form of stipends of $13,000 per annum
   (exclusive of tuition and fees which are paid by the program).  Sources
   of support include two federal training grants, funding from the School
   of Medicine, and research grants.  Students can also compete for national
   and local university fellowship support.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT:

   Gerry S. Oxford, Ph.D.
   Director, Curriculum in Neurobiology
   University of North Carolina