"Novelty" gene

Dave Seaman ds005c at UHURA.CC.ROCHESTER.EDU
Thu Jan 4 21:13:42 EST 1996

>Now I have to say this...  So What!  As far as I can see - genetics research
>has not yielded too much in the way of positive results.  It doesn't help
>much to tell a sick person with cancer or heart disease that their problem
>is genetic.  Genetics will only help if we start building people from the
>bottom up - don't look for it soon.
>
>Stevejoe

Keep in mind that genes are not simply blueprints that are laid out nicely
at the start of your life, and then discarded once used.  They are used
again and again and again for maintaining your physiology.  Understanding
genetics means being able to understand somewhat better the biochemical
mechanisms involved in any function or dysfunction.  As for dysfunctions,
understanding these mechanisms is a large step in the direction of curing
or treating that dysfunction.  In fact, many advances in the treatment of
diseases has been helped along by genetics, cancer included.

--
David Seaman
University of Rochester
ds005c at uhura.cc.rochester.edu