"Post back surgery" exercise

Thomas D. Wason wason at nando.net
Fri Jan 5 15:09:40 EST 1996

Chris--

I had some similar surgery a few years ago (to relieve cauda equina
syndrome).  I tried step aerobics for some time, and found the pain
steadily increasing.  It decreased when I stopped.  Recently I went on a
sailing vacation and found that my back felt better than it had since the
surgery.  I think the constant pelvic motion was good for me.  I'd
suggest you get one of those roller-and-board contraptions used by circus
clowns.  One balances one a board resting on a cylinder lying on its
side.

--Tom

thekid2 at ix.netcom.com (Chris A. Philbrick ) wrote:
>I underwent a laminectomy on Nov. 20th and have been on my back for
>1045 hours out of the last 1104.  I'm allowed unlimited easy walking
>and no standing.  My concern is that my neurosurgeon is telling me no
>more jogging ever (after the 90 day  recovery period) and is entirely
>unsympathetic towards my love for golf.  He is a non-athlete and feels
>that most Americans are still trying to win gold medals rather than
>simply get in good shape.  He is advising me to get rid of my  Nordic
>Track, and as I said, absolutely no jogging.  Can anyone tell me about
>their experience regarding types of exercise equipment and/or jogging
>after having had back surgery?
>I am 53 years old and otherwise in perfect health.  I am a deciple of
>the late Dr. George Sheehan who ran marathons into his 70's.  He used
>to run the first hour for his health and the second hour for his soul.
>Thanks.
>Chris Philbrick
>Fax 209-433-1098

----
  Thomas D. Wason, Ph.D.              1421 Park Drive
  Human-Computer Interactions         Raleigh, North Carolina 27605 USA
  wason at nando.net                     919.834.9842