multi-infarction dementia

Leslie Packer lpacker at nyc.pipeline.com
Sun Jan 7 09:27:09 EST 1996

Mary,

Your grandmother will feel more comfortable and less distressed the more in
control of her life she can remain, and it is good that you are thinking
along these lines.  Sometimes, little things can be done to replace
(supplement) failing memory:  using a big wall calendar where people write
things down for her, or make sure that she writes them down.  Having memo
pads all over so that she can write down notes, helping her organize her
clothes so that she picks out things that are appropriate (some older
people in that situation find it helpful to put color stickers on clothes
hangers to help them coordinate).   If she goes out on her own, make sure
she has her name and address in her wallet with a family member's phone
number.

You might also want to take a long hard look at her living space to see if
there are any safety issues that need to be addressed.  If there are steps
that are not perceptually detectable easily, you might want to put a dark
or contrast strip on the edge of the step so that she is more likely to
notice it.  Are there devices or stove/oven that she might forget and leave
on, thereby creating a fire hazard?  Is her living space properly outfitted
with smoke detectors?  If she doesn't have HEAT detectors, you might want
to think about having those installed.

Only her physician can explain to you the cause of the infarcts and whether
any medication might help reduce the risk of subsequent infarcts.  If her
mood is depressed, a consultation with a geriatric psychiatrist might be
helpful.   Visits with an adoring granddaughter are also helpful <smiling>.

Best of luck to you and your grandmother.

Leslie Packer, PhD