Complexity descriptor

C Kramer kramer at rullf2.LeidenUniv.nl
Mon Jan 8 07:45:49 EST 1996

Dear reader,
I am searching for information about describing the complexity or
roughness of surfaces. The surfaces I work with are mapped outputs
of calculated parameters from neuromuscular signals measured in a
grid of points at the skin-surface above the muscle of interest.
The output looks like a kind of reliefmap. Describing this maps in
one or a few numbers is necessary in order to compare them. First
order descriptors as mean heigth and mean slopes in both grid
coordinate directions are usefull but not enough, because loss of
distributional information. The complex shapes of relief in the
maps has to be reflected in a descriptor.
I think this kind of a problem may be familiar in your institute
somewhere too. I will be gratefull if in any way someone can help
me .
Cor G.S. Kramer, dept. clinical neurofysiology
University Hospital Leiden, the Netherlands.
e-mail : Kramer @ rullf2.leidenuniv.nl
tel. : ..31-(0)71-5262194