Vagus Nerve Schwannoma: effects on internal organs?

Neal Prakash eamg061 at aldebaran.oac.uci.edu
Mon Jan 22 20:46:24 EST 1996

Hi again Jerry,

I just reread my post and realize I did not mean to sound so callous. I'm
sure the doctor's had very few alternatives but to remove the cancer.  I
just know that, as being and MD/PhD student myself, that very little is
known and taught about some of the very important functions of the vagus
nerve.  This especially true since only as of 1995, have some its
psychoneuroimmune functions really been examined.

I hope other people will read this post and look into this.

Best of luck to your friend.
Neal

> i just gave a talk the vagus nerve and the immune system--the vagus nerve
> probably plays a very important role in many important chemoregulatory
> functions, including detection of cytokine levels, important for the
> psychoneuroimmune axis.
>
> i highly recommend the book "Neuroanatomy and Physiology of Abdominal
> Vagal Afferents" Ritter, Ritter & Barnes, eds. CRC press, london, 1992.
> especially interesting are the sections on the paraventricular system.
>
> also check out any of the several related papers by Linda R. Watkins
> group for the effects of subdiaphragmatic vagotomy.
>

> > A friend of mine had a vagus nerve schwannoma removed about 6 months ago;
> > the nerve was completley transected and she has a paralyzed vocal cord.
> >
> > She wonders about long term effects on her internal organs and endocrine
> > functions.  She has various symptoms including decreased appetite,
> > increased appetite, pain on salivating, swallowing problems of course, and
> > also mood swings.  Does anyone know anything about this, or know of people
> > or references I can point to her to?
> >
> > If you could reply be email I'd appreciate it, and if I get enough info
> > I'll post it in this group and on the Web.
> >
> > Jerry
> > jlarson at hsc.usc.edu
> > http://www.hsc.edu/hsc/neuroprotection/
-neal prakash