neural coding of behavior: evidence for precise timing of spikes ?

rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Wed Jan 24 16:21:55 EST 1996

On Sun, 31 Dec 1995, Mark Laubach wrote:
> jan at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de (Jan Vorbrueggen) wrote:
> :In article <4b536l$baq at eis.wfunet.wfu.edu> laubach at biogfx.neuro.wfu.edu (Mark
> :Laubach) writes:
>
> :   When are you going to distinguish the stimuli?  After looking at all the
> :   trials on average?
>
> :No, potentially during/immediately after the stimulus.
>
> :   A cross-correlation is nothing more than a correlational measure between
> :   time-series and a correlational measure is not a

NOTE: my message was destroyed for the above location.
> glance at some kind of 'space' of emotional qualia suggests
> that it might well enter the area of conflicting ethical value systems.
>
> Some qualia are vague and emphemeral. Some, arguably, overlap or even 'bind'
> naturally.  Non-primary colours could even be construed as a kind of
> 'binding in miniature' of three qualia.  The separateness/dimensionality
> of qualia could well be a fundamental problem in some areas.
>
> Louis Gidney - louis9 at cromer.demon.co.uk
"binding in miniature".  Interesting.  Bartoshuk reported that the taste
system normally substracts affect with additional stimulation like salt
reducing the bitterness of coffee.

This suggest that the experience is a reading of pure types with some
upper limit.  Our reference would be gaussian from the central limit
theorem.  Binding in miniature of qualia then would be gaussian also.
Ron Blue