endogenous benzodiazepines

Yasunori Hayashi yhayashi at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Fri Jan 26 02:34:06 EST 1996

In article <8B95179.012C05D8E3.uuout at mandic.com.br>,
dihelson.mendonca at mandic.com.br (DIHELSON MENDONCA) wrote:

>     I'd like to know if by this time, have the scientists
>     isolated the endogenous benzodiazepines.On other day,
>     I was watching TV, when I heard that in the UNIVERSIDADE
>     DO RIO GRANDE DO SUL, In BRAZIL, the scientists had
>     proved that the organism produces an endogenous benzo-
>     diazepine, and the quimical structure looks like that of
>     DIAZEPAN.Is it correct?, we really produce some DIAZEPAN?
>     In other letter, I've seen someone saying that GABA was
>     the natural benzodiazepine, if so, why, someone who ingest
>     GABA doesn't become "calm" ? I personally used GABA (yes, we
>     buy it in the drugstore, here, long time ago!) and it didn't
>     make any apparent diference, on the contrary , I didn't
>     feel very well...perhaps the endogenous benzodiazepine, only
>     potencializes the GABA action.
>     Waiting for answers:

If you are in a scientific occupation, a series of works by E. Costa et
al. would be interesting.

e.g.

Gray PW.  Glaister D.  Seeburg PH.  Guidotti A.  Costa E.
Cloning and expression of cDNA for human diazepam binding inhibitor, a
natural ligand of an allosteric regulatory site of the gamma-aminobutyric
acid type A receptor.
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of
America.  83(19):7547-51, 1986 Oct.

I do not have knowledge about their recent works.  Please look into
Medline by yourself.

Hope this helps.
Yasunori Hayashi
Department of Neurophysiology, Institute for Brain Reserch
Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
3-1 Hongo 7-chome Bunkyo Tokyo 113 Japan
yhayashi at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
yhayashi-tky at umin.u-tokyo.ac.jp