long lasting label for tracking cell migration?

Karoly Mirnics, M.D. karoly at vms.cis.pitt.edu
Sat Jan 27 11:17:23 EST 1996

Jerry Clayton wrote:

> Brian,
> You might try using some of the carbocyanine dyes on the market.
> These are lipophylic dyes that get incorporated into the lipid
> bi-layer and will actually show up in processes extending from
> growing cells into which it is incorporated.

Yes, but it IMPAIRS CELL MIGRATION in some systems. Also, it spreads
during migration into secondary cells, especially in tissues
with gap junctions. Still, with all the problems it might be worth
a shot, but DO NOT USE DMSO, but ethanol as a solvent. Also, DiI
(not FastDiI) seems to be the best - it is the most lypophillic
(lest leaky) travels fastest and is retained the longest in living cells.
For the exciation and emission wavelength you might check out
Mirnics and Koerber, JCN, 355:589-600 (1995). FluoroGold might be
OK, too, if you can make a very localized injection (see
Ziskind-Conhaim group around 1992), but I do not have any
positive experience with it.
	GFP might be a better solution, but I do not know from a
technical standpoint is it worth the effort...
Good luck!

Karoly
Karoly Mirnics, M.D.         "No amount of planning will
W1413 BST                        ever replace dumb luck..."
School of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh      - my tribute to the genius of
Pittsburgh PA 15261                 Edsel Murphy-
Tel:(412) 648-9086; Fax:(412) 648-1441
http://bigfoot.neurobio.pitt.edu/karoly.htm
talk karoly at bigfoot.neurobio.pitt.edu