Looking for a FAQ

Sydney M Lamb smlamb at OWLNET.RICE.EDU
Mon Jan 29 11:09:53 EST 1996

On 29 Jan 1996, Niels Oestergaard wrote:

> I am doing a little research on how the brain is build and how it works
> (in simple terms). As a sort of preparation to an assignment on
> artificial neural networks.
>
> Is there a FAQ somewhere, that is easy to understand for non-medico's?
>
> Niels Oestergaard
> dat94a26 at mini01.vejlees.dk

On how the brain is built, a good introduction is provided by Chapters 1,
2, and 19 of Kandel, Schwarz, and Jessel (eds) PRINCIPLES OF NEURAL SCIENCE
3rd edition, 1991.  What you probably want especially is something on how
the cortex is built.  Here you could try the relevant portions of Y.
Burnod, AN ADAPTIVE NEURAL NETWORK: THE CEREBRAL CORTEX (Masson,
Prentice-Hall, 1990.

As to How It Works, that is the big question, whose answer continues to
elude most investigators and is not to be found in any literature that I
am aware of.

As for Artificial Neural Networks, you will find that most of them,
especially the most widely used and cited ones, are wildly at variance
with what is known about the structure of the cortex.

SML