EEG: brainwave generation, questions

Lester Ingber ingber at alumnae.caltech.edu
Tue Jan 30 07:47:38 EST 1996

In article <4ekgcn$5v2 at newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
Hypnotics <hypnotics at aol.com> wrote:
:What are the most recent theories regarding the generation of brainwaves.
:I understand that theories have been put forward regarding certain
:thalamic nuclei, which contain certain neurons firing at different rates.
:These neurons project to the cortex and summation of these impulses are
:recorded as brainwaves.
:But is anymore known in this area?  It all seems rather vague....

This definitely is not the leading explanation, but there are a few
competing theories.  I have my own multiscale calculations that support
generation of EEG, with some papers available in my
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~ingber/ archive.  Paul Nunez's book
contains several chapters that do justice to several approaches,
                Neocortical Dynamics and Human EEG Rhythms
                                P.L. Nunez
                       Oxford University Press, 1995
                            ISBN 0-19-505728-7
The preface to this book is in
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~ingber/MISC.DIR/nunez95_preface.txt

:Also, it seems accepted that brainwaves can be broken down into their
:component sine waves by fourier transform, but what evidence is there that
:brainwaves ARE sinusoidal?  What evidence shows that brainwaves cannot
:REALLY be sawtooth in some instances, square in others etc.  Are we
:creating an artificial construct?

This is quite a reach.

:Anyone have any answers?

Quite a few people have _some_ answers.

:E-Mail or post on newsgroups please, thanks,
:
:Grant

Lester
--
/*             RESEARCH                         ingber at alumni.caltech.edu *
 *       INGBER                        ftp.alumni.caltech.edu:/pub/ingber *