Query: Dendritic Networks

Bill Skaggs bill at nsma.arizona.edu
Tue Jan 30 23:03:54 EST 1996

colinh at owlnet.rice.edu (Alfie) writes:
   > I recently read the following assertions in Jibu and Yasue (1995)
   > "Quantum brain dynamics and consciousness", and I would welcome
   > any enlightening comments...
   >
   > 1. "...it is known that in the central nervous system, especially
   > in the cerebral cortex, the majority of neurons have no axons and
   > cannot transmit neural impulses." [p.104]

Pure BS.  There are neurons without axons in the CNS, particularly the
retina and olfactory system (they're called "amacrine" cells), but
they're a tiny minority of the whole, probably less than 1%.  In the
neocortex, all neurons have axons.

   > 2. "Even in mainstream cerebral physiology, the higher order
   > process [of consciousness and memory] is thought to be realized
   > by the cooperative activity of dendritic networks..."

More BS.  There are very few dendro-dendritic connections in the
cerebral cortex (which is quite likely the main seat of consciousness
and memory), though they are not uncommon in some other parts of the
brain.

   > Please respond directly to me <colinh at owlnet.rice.edu>.

I am posting because it is bad for misinformation on this level to go
uncorrected.

	-- Bill