Neuron transmission speeds, relative to size

David Monteith-Hodge david at monteith.win-uk.net
Tue Jul 9 15:22:03 EST 1996

People,

May I join your conference please.

I am a post-grad researcher (part-time) at the University of Central England in
Birmingham, UK. I am looking building models of reading using hybrid
connectionist computer programs - artificial neural networks in combination with
more conventional programs. For my Bachelor's thesis in my final undergraduate
year I built a neural network which learned how to read, and, after simulating
the structural anomalies discovered in post mortem examination of dyslexic
brains by Galaburda et al, I found discernable differences in the way such an
amended network learned to read.

During my research I cam upon an article which stated "larger brain cells
conduct impulses faster than smaller ones".

I would not know where to start to discover the truth of this statement, but
need to know something about it as it determines whether I design and build a
large sequence of experiments. Would one of you erudite folk be able to throw
some light onto this for me? You would make a mature student ver happy.

Thanks and regards,

david

--
David Monteith-Hodge