money making/saving reports

Sven Haul Sven.Haul at uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Jul 10 13:52:23 EST 1996

In article <31E23D9F.3094 at tiac.com>,
   "Fred K. Lenherr" <lenherr at tiac.com> wrote:
>David N. Gaines wrote:
>>
>> In article <01bb6c75.8e548da0$608545c7 at system>, Trythis at Money.com says...

[snipped scam]

>The question is, how do we keep ads/pyramid schemes/junk email out of
>the unmoderated newsgroups?
>
>I find that Money.com is retrieved by AltaVista:
>
>Welcome to Cambridge Interactive, a company that specializes in harnessing
Internet tools to build an
>Extended
>     Enterprise. We create financial research...
>     http://www.money.com/ - size 4K - 21 Apr 96
>
>But DNS doesn't find it.

If you look at the full headers, you'll see this is from an dial-in account:

From: "Try this" <Trythis at Money.com>
Subject: money making/saving reports
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 21:31:23 -0500

You can set the from: line as you like, but it takes more brains to tinker
with the NNTP-posting host. The message-ID is generated by the local
newsreader and can be set as you like.
Maybe if we all write to the newsmaster of the posting host...
But you cannot kill the spammers as fast as they evolve. Use a killfile for
your newsreader instead (Netscape can't do this, but News Xpress and Free
Agent, for example). I kill everything with "money" and "cash" in the
subject...

Regards,
Sven

Sven E. Haul                           Heinrich-Heine-University
Institute of Physiology II             Duesseldorf
Dpt. of Neurophysiology                Germany