Neuron transmission speeds, relative to size

Jim Hutchins hutchins at netdoor.com
Wed Jul 10 17:34:38 EST 1996

David Monteith-Hodge (david at monteith.win-uk.net) wrote:
: During my research I cam upon an article which stated "larger brain cells
: conduct impulses faster than smaller ones".
:
: I would not know where to start to discover the truth of this statement, but
: need to know something about it as it determines whether I design and build a
: large sequence of experiments. Would one of you erudite folk be able to throw
: some light onto this for me? You would make a mature student ver happy.

David,

Welcome.  I only have one thing to add to Dr. Scaggs' excellent response.
You might try Jack Noble and Tsien, _Electric Current Flow in Excitable
Cells_, for a comprehensive reference on questions such as these.  Aidley
_The Physiology of Exciatable Cells_ and Junge _Nerve and Muscle
Excitation_ are also quite good and *much* more accessible, but if you
seek an engineering perspective on models of nerve cells, you can't beat
Jack, Noble and Tsien.

Jim Hutchins    hutchins at netdoor.com   hutchins at umsmed.edu
http://fiona.umsmed.edu/~hutchins/
Annie the Aust Cattle Dog // Kodiak the Norwegian Elkhound
"Morde diem" ****** Annie's motto ****** "Bite the Day"