Neuronal products of anaerobic metabolism

Dr. Karim Brohi karim at trauma.org
Wed Jul 10 16:22:50 EST 1996

We are about to undertake a large research project studying our head
injury patients with transcranial doppler ultrasound, CFM , Near
Infrared spectroscopy and Jugular venous bulb monitoring.  Starting in
the acute phase of injury (within 2-3 hours of the accident)
Among other limbs of this project we will be measuring jugular venous
lactate levels.  This has however shown to be a poor or late sign of
cerebral hypoxia, levels not rising significantly until jugular venous
haemoglobin saturations have fallen to 50%.  I presume most or all of
this lactate is glial in origin.

Does anybody know of a substance (that can be measured) released by
neurons in the early stages of hypoxia, preferably before neuronal
death?

Dr. Karim Brohi BSc FRCS
Trauma & Critical Care Unit, Royal London Hospital
Mailto:karim at trauma.org
http://www.trauma.org/