Seeking Information About Visual System

Michael Sean Davis davis at thecia.net
Thu Jul 11 09:31:12 EST 1996

I am graduate student in the process of writing my dissertation
in need of a quick answer (if one exists) to a question about
the visual system.

In perusing intro. level textbooks, I find seemingly agreed
upon theories explaining color vision, but I don't find
detailed theories explaining the perception of brightness.
One text seems to vaguely suggest that brightness might be
caused by the summed total activity of the photoreceptors
in the retina.

Is this theory correct?  If not, what, if any, is the
agreed upon physiological theory for explaining the
perception of brightness?

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

-Michael Sean Davis

davis at thecia.net