molerets syndrome

山中 秀樹 alchemia-kkr at umin.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Jul 16 06:32:45 EST 1996

In article <1996071500005368028 at zetnet.co.uk> easterly at zetnet.co.uk (Malcolm Goo
dall ) wrote:

> Molerets syndrome ( correct spelling?)
> Has anyone any information, references or web sources ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> M.G.

  I am a medical doctor and a researcher upon neurology.
First, correct spelling is Mollaret's meningitis.

 Here, I write a short review abut this Mollaret's
miningitis.Then, you examine this disease further
in several textbook and journals, please.

       Mollaret's miningitis

 benign recurrent aseptic meningitis

  recurrent---repeated attacks of fever and meningeal
irritation that usually subside with 2 to 5 days
after onset.
inflammatory mononuclear cells are identified in CSF,
in addition to large monocytes (Mollaret cells).
This Mollaret cells are hallmark of this disease.
Mollaret cells are activated monocytes.
Etiology of this disease is still unkown.
  Herpes simplex type 2 (Neurology 43: 1722-, 1993)
  Herpes simplex type 1 (Ann Neurol1 11: 17-  , 1982)
  Epstein-Barr          (Arch Neurol44: 1240-,1987)

These are causative viruses on hypothesis.
Formerly, allergic or chemical etiology were thought.
(Am.J.Med 52: 128-, 1972)

Finally, I introduce the original article with respect.

Mollaret, P.: La meningite endothelio-leukocytaire
multi-recurrente benigne: syndrome nouveau ou maladie
nouvelle?
Rev. Neurol(Paris) 76: 57-67, 1944

(Sorry for no accents)

         Hideki Yamanaka MD @ National Institute of