A Theory of CNS Function

kenneth paul collins KPCollins at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Fri Jul 19 19:04:29 EST 1996

>I'm interested.  It sounds to me like you might be describing Sociobiology
>- or do you include neuronal pathways/networks in your theory?

Hi, Matthew. Basically, I've worked from a functional neuroanatomy
perspective. It's a long story... I wanted to comprehend why folks
tend, so strongly, to cling, blindly, to that with which they are
merely familiar. Resolving this one consideration required me to
work through the whole nervous system.

I've been able to verify that CNSs are structurally ordered so that
they will "strive" to achieve _one_ goal: the minimization of the
topologically-distributed ratios of excitation to inhibition that
occur within them.

This structural "phenomenon" _permeates_ the CNS, and since it does,
it can be used as as geometrical "Rosetta Stone" - a "key" - that
can be used to decipher CNS function at any locus.

I'm not a neuropharmacologist, so I hope that, if you're so inclined,
you might "translate" the things we'll discuss into your familiar
realm.

Here's a small abstract that I've on hand:

ABSTRACT

A "Gravitational" Analogue, Extant within All Central Nervous
Systems, is Responsible for the Phenomenon of Prejudice.

I have discovered that prejudiced behavior, including all
territoriality, is manifested ubiquitously by humans because
a fundamental, gravity-like dynamic rigorously attracts, to
itself, all information processing that occurs within central
nervous systems. This gravity-like dynamic conforms to the
laws of thermodynamics, permeates central nervous systems at
all phylogenetic levels, and has analogues at phylogenetic
levels where no central nervous systems exist.

Such can be viewed in the way non-specifically-ordered neural
architecture remains primarily uncrossed throughout the
central nervous system, while specifically-ordered neural
architecture crosses from one side of the body to the other,
depending on the level of the central nervous system. The
single rule that governs all of the neural-impulse interaction
that occurs between the nonspecific and the specific neural
architectures is that the sum of the topologically-distributed
ratios of excitation to inhibition within the integrated,
nonspecific and specific, neural architecture must be minimized,
relatively.

compactly:  TD E/I(min)

The domain of this unifying principle includes the geometry
(topology) of the neuroanatomical "twists" and "turns" that
exist within the central nervous system. A low-level example of
the reality described by this unifying principle is seen in the
converse reactions of the head and body to noxious stimulation.
The head orients away from pain to the face, but toward pain to
the body. This occurs because the uncrossed spinal trigeminal
tract, which conveys pain from the face, and the crossed
spinothalamic tract, which conveys pain from the body, are
mapped in topologically-inverse fashions with respect to the
nonspecific [TD E/I(UP)] neural architecture of the reticular
formation and the specific, totally-inhibitory [TD E/I(min)]
outputs of the cerebellum. The problem of avoiding noxious
stimulation is of infinitely-large scope because noxious
stimulation can come from any direction in the environment.
"Knowledge" of how the effectors must be activated to solve
this infinitely-large problem is contained within this
TD E/I(min)  neural architecture. I have discovered that the
same TD E/I(min) principle governs the functioning of all of
the major nuclear groups within mammalian central nervous
systems.

Because the TD E/I-minimization mechanisms of the central
nervous system are always active, microscopic trophic
modifications that are produced within the neural mass as a
result of impulse activity, and which encode "learning",
conform rigorously to the TD E/I-minimization principle.
That which is relatively unfamiliar causes TD E/I to
increase within the central nervous system "simply" because
the TD E/I(min)  principle has had less time during which to
guide the by-production of trophic modifications with respect
to the unfamiliar circumstance.

The TD E/I(min) principle constitutes the Fundamental Wisdom
that exists within the central nervous system. Central nervous
systems react blindly to TD E/I(up), in proportion to the
relative increase in TD E/I without correlation to any
invariant external experiential reality. Hence the irrational
devaluation, one for the other, that occurs between individuals,
and among groups, that are unfamiliar with each other, whether
the people involved are sports fans, etc., or members of
different races, religions, cultures, or nationalities.
Hence hatred. Hence war. Etc.

Cheers, Mathew, ken